A selection of the most curious ice cream flavors in Florence. From the one with violets to the one inspired by the ” Schiacciata alla Fiorentina “
Florence, Italy, is known for its rich culinary traditions, and while you might not immediately associate it with unusual gelato flavors, you can find some creative and unique options at local gelaterie. Here are seven strange but delicious ice cream flavors to try in Florence:
- Gorgonzola and Walnut: This creamy, savory-sweet gelato combines the tangy notes of Gorgonzola cheese with the rich, nutty flavor of walnuts. It’s a surprising and delightful combination.
- Balsamic Vinegar: Florence is famous for its balsamic vinegar, and you can find gelato that incorporates the sweet and tangy flavors of aged balsamic vinegar. It’s a refreshing and slightly tart treat.
- Ricotta and Fig: Creamy ricotta cheese pairs wonderfully with the natural sweetness of ripe figs. This flavor offers a unique balance of creamy and fruity.
- Saffron and Pine Nut: Saffron adds a delicate floral note and a vibrant yellow color to this gelato, while the pine nuts provide a subtle crunch and nutty flavor. It’s a luxurious combination.
- Lavender and Honey: Lavender’s floral aroma and honey’s natural sweetness create a harmonious and aromatic gelato. It’s a soothing and elegant choice.
- Tomato and Basil: This might sound more like a salad than ice cream, but the sweetness of ripe tomatoes paired with fresh basil creates a refreshing and unexpected flavor profile.
- Olive Oil: High-quality Tuscan olive oil is a staple in Italian cuisine, and it’s also a unique gelato flavor. It has a smooth, fruity, and slightly savory taste that’s surprisingly delightful.
Violante – Gelateria della Passera
The delicate and very particular Violante flavor, created for March 8th and made with almond milk, cold infusion of violets, candied violets and honey. But this place is famous for others flavors like Monnalisa.
Latina Kiwi PGI – Sbrino Gelatificio Contadino
At Sbrino there is always room for some tasty innovations, such as the Latina PGI kiwi sorbet, made only with mineral water and sugars and natural thickeners. For aperitif time, the drunken granitas are also worth trying, i.e. summer cocktails obtained with a process that involves inserting the alcoholic bases directly into the batch freezer, which avoids the addition of ice which waters them down.
Andy Warhol – ICE CREAM by Gabriele Vannucci
The very young pastry chef in his restaurant near Piazza Cesare Beccaria, in addition to the more classic flavours, offers numerous eccentric creations inspired by his own desserts. Among these is the Andy Warhol flavour, based on white chocolate, mango and banana.
St. John’s Cream – The Sorbettiera
Antonio Ciabattoni is a volcano of creativity, among his ice creams there are many unexpected flavors such as Crema di San Giovanni prepared with numerous flowers and aromatic plants: rose, lavender, lemon verbena, mint, pepolino, marjoram, rosemary, sage and basil infused cold for 24 hours and then proceed with creaming.
Fiorentina Schiacciata – La Carraia
We are in Florence and we couldn’t miss a taste of the Florentine Schiacciata, the typical dessert made with simple and simple ingredients which takes its classic orange color from the orange zest and juice.
Pears and gorgonzola – Gelateria de’ Medici
Historic Florentine establishment that is not afraid to dare by offering flavors with bold flavours, such as pears and gorgonzola, a perfect gastronomic combination that also works in ice cream.
Negroni – Bondi ice cream shop
Vetulio Bondi produces excellent traditional flavours, but its is a laboratory of continuous research and experimentation from which anything but conventional ice creams are created with top quality ingredients. Among these are the Amiata ricotta ice cream, honey from Val di Chiana and rosemary from the Colli Fiorentini, or the Negroni flavour, created on the occasion of the centenary of the creation of this cocktail, with Florentine cream and Negroni jelly.
At Eduardo’s all the ice creams are organic and the cones are handmade by the employees. All fresh flavours, especially the red Chianti wine gelato with an intense flavor.